5 household items that you could not be toxic to dogs, veterinarians say

It's not just toxic foods for dogs. Veterinarians say that many household items are also dangerous.


One of the most important things to do beforebring a dog back to home is the test of your home (yes, even if the new member of your family is good in his golden years). Because, like any dog ​​owner will tell you, your puppy will enter intoeverything. Your collection of shoes does not correspond to its teeth, your pantry is their new playground, and your garbage, well, nothing ever looks more attractive. So this is the key to locking everything youI don't want them to eat- In particular things that could be toxic. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to know what it is. To help, we asked veterinarians to tell us the most harmful things, apart from food, they see patients ingest. Read more to find out more about five current household items that you probably did not know how to be toxic to dogs.

Read this then:If your dog plays with that, remove it immediately.

1
Ibuprofen

ibuprofen painkiller painkillers
Whisper

You probably don't think twice before bursting an advil to relieve headache or muscle pain. But if your dog ingests these types of drugs, there may be serious consequences. "Dogs have very narrow therapeutic ranges of drugs, which means that a small amount of pain medication, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, which we consider harmless and generally very safe for us, may be harmful For pets ", explains pets"Caroline Wilde, DVM, veterinarian of staff atTrupanion pet insurance company.

Accidental ingestion can cause gastrointestinal ulcers and kidney damage, so you should contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog swallows a quantity. And no, you should never give your dog a dose of pain relief that is not prescribed by your veterinarian.

2
Rat bait

pair of rats
Whisper

This thing is bad for rats and dogs. Unfortunately, puppies enter too frequently. "The most common non -food toxin that I see the dogs eat would probably be rat baits," saidLinda Simon, DVM, a veterinary surgeon andConsultant for FIVEBARKS. "It is used by many people inside and outside; also, the dog can eat a poisoned mouse, thus ingesting the poison itself."AE0FCC31AE342FD3A1346EBB1F342FCB

Rat bait can cause toxicity by impacting the neurological system or causing internal bleeding, explains Simon. "Most often, the dog's coagulation capacity is affected and they will bleed internally, which can lead to death," says Simon. "It will take a few days to happen, so dogs initially seem good." If you think your dog may have ingested it, go to the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Read this then:It is the least popular dog breed in the United States, the data show.

3
Balls

Mothballs
Whisper

It is important to note that Nauth balls are a type of pesticide, and pesticides must be far from all pets. "The balls contain naphthalene, which is toxic to dogs and can cause damage to the organs if it is ingested," explainsMelissa M. Brock, veterinarian and writer certified to the CouncilPets.

Your dog can also display signs of gastrointestinal upheaval, according toVCA animal hospitals (VCAAH). To use them safely, keep your balls in a sealed container to reduce the spread of smoke and the possibility that your dog tries to play with or eat them.

4
Detergent

dishwasher detergent
Whisper

Remember the Tide Pod challenge? Well, it turns out that it is just as dangerous for puppies as for adolescents. "You might think that it would not be so harmful because it is the soap used to clean the things we use daily, but they are in fact seriously toxic to dogs," saidAlex Crow, DVM, a veterinarian working withHappy. "They look like a treat when they are in the form of a pod, which is attractive for your dog, so it is important to keep them locked up and out of reach at all times."

The common symptoms of toxicity of these pods drool, vigorously shaking the head, excessive licking, difficulty, vomiting and a general feeling of distress and discomfort, notes the crow.

For more pet advice delivered directly in your reception box,Register for our daily newsletter.

5
Interior plants

Oleander terrifying plants
Shutterstock / Julian Popov

You may know that there are severalToxic interior plants for dogs, but the veterinarians we interviewed thought it was important to underline the problem. "Not all owners understand how dangerous indoor plants are," says Wilde. "Some plants are non -toxic, while others can cause serious side effects and even death."

If your dog eats a toxic plant, remove the plant and wash the mouth with water. "Then bring them to a veterinarian for emergency care, who will likely include vomiting induction, intravenous liquids and other support treatments," added Wilde. To avoid problems in the first place, look for each plant thoroughly before bringing them to the house. This also applies to gifts and floral bouquets.

If you think your dog may have ingested something harmful, contact your veterinarian or the poison for pet assistance, an animal poison control center 24/7, at 1-800-213-6680.


Categories: Smarter Living
Tags: animals / Home / News / Pets
A major side effect to eat oatmeal, says science
A major side effect to eat oatmeal, says science
Main trends of spring 2020
Main trends of spring 2020
One in four person has this healthy grocery habit
One in four person has this healthy grocery habit